The 5 Best GPS for Adventure Motorcycle Reviewed
If you own an adventure motorbike, you probably made that purchase because of the promise of excitement. However, whether you are navigating the mountains or going cross-country on a long road trip having motorcycle GPS units can prove invaluable help with your navigation.
A motorcycle GPS unit will ensure that you get to your destination on time. They are also useful for seeing how many miles you are crossing each day. There are even some very high-end models that will even monitor the pressure of your tire.
No matter what kind of adventure you are going on you need to find a GPS unit that you can use comfortably and one that is easy to read while on the road. There are many different models out there and you may be confused about how you can go about choosing one. Here is a look at some of the best GPS units for adventure motorcyclists.
Best GPS for Adventure Motorcycle
This GPS navigator offers you the opportunity to have excellent navigation as you go over hilly terrain or smooth roads. You can also get a bit of entertainment from the unit as it has an on-screen music control. Before you purchase make sure that your smartphone or your mp3 player is compatible with the unit.
This unit will give you alerts when you are approaching sharp turns. This is useful for preventing accidents. Another way it helps to prevent accidents is by warning you about animal crossing and nearby red lights. It also tells you when speed cameras are nearby so that you can avoid getting into trouble with the law.
The Bluetooth functionality lets you receive calls while you are riding. Enjoy the security of having your friends know exactly where you are. The life track feature will allow them to track your current location.
While you are riding you will receive notifications of text messages, this helps you to keep in touch. The GPS navigator is highly resistant to rain and harsh weather conditions. This means that you can look forward to using this device for a long time without it being broken.
- Premium motorcycle GPS for new adventures in riding
- Glove- , sunlight-readable 5-inch dual-orientation touchscreen with rugged design for harsh weather (IPX7)
- Garmin Adventurous Routing finds curvy or hilly roads; limits major highways
- Rider alerts for sharp curves, state helmet laws, speed cameras (not available in all regions) and more
- Bluetooth for hands-free calling and smartphone notifications right on your zūmo screen (requires Bluetooth-compatible helmet, headset or smartphone (sold separately) and the free Smartphone Link app)
This is a superb device that allows you to record and load your GPS trails as well as your riding areas. Once you have done this it then gives you the convenience of being able to transfer it to your personal computer using a micro SD card.
The device comes pre-loaded with North American Maps. However, if you are in another region you can download maps for free. One of the major pros of this device is that it has buddy tracking. Buddy tracking is useful for helping you to utilize local radio signals and it supports up to twenty riders in the same group.
One of the best things about this device is that you can see other riders in your group on the map screen. You can use this to increase your following distances. If you get in trouble at any time there is an emergency beacon that you can use to call your buddies. This will work whether or not you have cell reception in the area.
This GPS unit is also valuable for entertainment purposes. You can place your favorite songs on your phone and sync them with the GPS so that you can listen to them. You can also play your favorite songs by using a microSD card with a Bluetooth headset, a speaker, or even an intercom.
- Off-road GPS with 4 inch color touchscreen anti-glare display, sealed and rated IP67 for anti dust/water intrusion
- Color navigation screen, topography maps and hill shading, supports tracks, routes and waypoints
- Tracks speed in mph using the GPS or wheel sensor; displays speed, temperature, distance, elevation and voltage
- Buddy tracking displays the current location of up to 20 members of your ride group on the map screen
- Bluetooth enabled for intercom, phone dialing, messaging and media controls
This GPS monitor bills itself as being built for adventure. It has a 5.5-inch display and is water-resistant. This means that it has you covered rain or shine. This monitor is heat resistant and can resist even the harshest temperatures. Take it with you on the hilliest terrain because it can also withstand strong vibrations.
When you use it for off-road navigation you can expect to get directions at every turn. Birdseye satellite imagery is also available when you are off-road with this amazing monitor.
You can avoid accidents that can happen when you swing around sharp curves or approach railroad crossings. The GPS monitor will alert you of the dangers ahead.
Before you embark on your trip you can take a look at the track routes on your navigator or smartphone.
- 5.5” ultrabright, glove-friendly display with crisp HD resolution in landscape or portrait mode; rain-resistant and built rugged (passed the military standard 810 drop test)
- Get spoken turn-by-turn directions through your connected helmet or headset plus preloaded off-road topographic maps with public land boundaries, 4x4 roads and more
- Access to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery with direct-to-device downloads and no annual subscription
- Garmin Adventurous Routing options find curvy or hilly roads for a fun and exciting riding experience
- Easily manage and review routes, tracks and waypoints across your navigator, smartphone and computer using Garmin Explore
This portable GPS navigator is built by a leader in the navigation field. It is built by a company that has decades of experience in building electronics and can boasts that it has over 200 key patterns in the GPS technology industry.
With this navigator, you can expect tracking to begin as soon as you start moving. The TRX7 will automatically start bread crumbling your tracks once you start moving.
The Megellan TRX7 GPS navigator has an intuitive interface. This intuitive interface will allow you to follow the trail and record your own tracks easily.
You can use a trail of your own or one that is preloaded on the device. Once you have selected your trail all you have to do is select follow and the navigating will begin.
The TRX7 is exceptional at identifying land features so that you can minimize any surprises that may happen along the way and cause accidents. This ensures that you have a safer off-roading navigation experience.
The TRX7 has a 3D terrain map view. It is also outfitted with a 2D topo view that shows contour lines for all of the USA and Canada.
The unit is weatherproof which means that you can expect high performance even if it is exposed to water. This is an excellent feature to have because it means that your device will be able to withstand rainfall should you be trapped outside in bad weather.
When you are off-roading things can get very rough so you need a unit that is dustproof and shock-resistant. The TRX7 will not disappoint you. No matter how rough and rugged the terrain gets this GPS will never break down on you.
It can handle high levels of shock. Its reliable GPS will never lose signal even if you are in an area that is covered by a lot of forestries. A feature like this is extremely important since it goes a long way in making sure that you do not get lost in a strange area without any kind of navigational help.
This unit lets you pinpoint your starting point. This is especially useful when you are off-road and find yourself in the middle of nowhere. If you do not have a clue how to get back to where you were coming from, all you have to do is consult your GPS navigator and it will backtrack for you. In this way, you will never get lost.
- 7" Touch screen display
- Over 160, 000 preloaded designated OHV routes
- Satellite map view available
- Hi-res (10M) 2D TOPO and 3D baseman
- Turn-by-turn trail and street navigation
You can take this GPS monitor on exciting new routes. The wifi-connected TomTom Rider offers you personalized trips around hills and curves and effortlessly synchronizes with your smartphone device.
The device features a glove-friendly touch screen. This means that you will not have to remove your riding gloves when you touch the screen. You can change the sensitivity to the heavy glove or light glove mode to fit the gear that you are wearing.
The world’s best routes are available to you on this device. These routes have been curated in collaboration with motorcycle partners from around the world. Whether it’s a hilly, rough, and winding road or a coastal terrain this monitor can help you navigate.
The device is outfitted with a unique navigation feature called Mydrive which will help you to plan your perfect ride. In Mydrive you can select the level of windiness or hilliness that you would prefer and Mydrive will create a perfect route for you.
You can also pinpoint stops that you want to make along the way with Mydrive. After creating your routes you can sync your plans wirelessly to your GPS.
Stay entertained while you are on the road. You can use Google and Siri to onboard music via your smartphone. In addition to entertainment, you can check the weather ahead by asking through your headset microphone. You will get an instant answer to your question.
You can receive messages from your smartphone with this unit. These messages can be read to you so that you do not have to take your eyes off the road. This is an important safety feature that makes this device indispensable.
You can even make calls and accept calls while your smartphone is in your pocket. If you can manage to take the call then you can go ahead do that but if it would be too inconvenient you can use your voice to make a call to anyone on your contact list.
- Routes with more hills and more thrills: Get all the cornering, hills, and thrills you can handle with TomTom's rider motorcycle GPS: Search, create, or import routes, then start your ride out
- World maps, traffic, and services: Stay safe, stay up-to-date. Get maps, safety camera alerts, and other live service updates quickly and easily via the TomTom rider GPS No computer needed
- Weatherproof build: Tom-Tom’s rider motorcycle GPS has rugged, ipx7-certified weatherproof design and capacitive touchscreen remain under your control even when you are wearing gloves
- Quad-core processor: The TomTom rider GPS’s quad-core processor runs commands simultaneously, doubling your overall processing speed and increasing your GPS's start up speed fivefold
- Smart screen: See more of the road ahead with the TomTom rider motorcycle GPS’s high brightness and sunlight-readable 4.3" display, which switches smoothly between portrait and landscape mode
Smart Phone vs. GPS for Adventure Motorcycling
Watch this video to see how using a smart phone compares to using a GPS for dual sport motorcycling:
The devices mentioned here offer excellent navigation for adventure motorcyclists. With a myriad of features at your fingertips, there is no need to feel lost or confused while you are on the road.
Choose your favorite GPS navigator based on your personal preferences and affordability, and start your motorcycling adventure with confidence.