The 5 Best GPS Trackers for Trailers Reviewed
You’ve probably watched a spy film where someone attaches some kind of tracker underneath a car. This lets the agent know where the car is going at all times. Well, this is something that many normal people who aren’t trying to stop the world from evil plotters, want for themselves too. But why? A gps tracker is good to keep tabs on a car that might be given to your son or daughter. You want to make sure they are only driving when they need to or only to specific places and back home again. It might also be because you have a very expensive car and you want one more line of defense to protect it if it gets stolen. Many people would buy a gps tracker for a trailer as they work on a farm or have an expensive portable home. This is what we’re going to be focusing on.
We reviewed the top 5 gps tracker for trailer options on the market. We found lots of similarities, some distinctions. As you might imagine, the basics have evolved to have larger scope. Features that were once upon a time, only found in the top models are now the norm. Thankfully however, pricing has become more competitive too. The main thing we wanted to explore, is a tracker for gps trailer that is practical and can be used as a normal everyday item. Complexity is a no-go.
Best GPS Trackers for Trailers
Firstly, it’s magnetic. You don’t have to attach it somehow, i.e. with cable ties or something. Depending on the year, this model can either be 4G or 5G. This means that it will be incredibly fast either way. The data transfer is smooth and often it can relay large amounts of information about anything relevant, such as the location, map route data with ease. It has a huge 10,000 mAH battery which will last for an entire year before you need to recharge it. This allows for an attach and forget policy, whereas other models will require monthly recharge sessions. It’s rated at IP65 which means it can handle just about any regular rainy conditions. It’s also going to protect against dust, which is awesome if you park your car in a garage.
The gps tracker wakes up every 8 hours to relay information about it’s location. When motion is detected it will begin to relay information about its location every 2 minutes. Because it is designed for trailers, you don’t need to rely on it’s magnetic attachment. It comes with an adhesive gel which you can use to attach it firmly to the underside of your trailer. This is great for trailers made from wood. The safetynet system will notice when the gps tracker for the trailer has left a boundary you have set, such as a neighborhood, city or state.
For a quick overview of the features of this tracker, watch this video:
- NO CONTRACT SERVICE - WhereSafe GPS tracking service is $12.95/month or $120.00/year. No activation or cancellation fees. Includes SIM card with North American coverage. Service add-ons available
- LONG LIFE BATTERY - Get up to 2 months standby time on a single charge. Rechargeable using an included USB charger.
- MAGNETIC & PORTABLE - Super strong magnets hold firm and make installing easy. Move from vehicle to vehicle as you need.
- REAL-TIME GPS TRACKING - Viewed right on your smartphone. Always know where the vehicle is just by checking the app.
- AUTOMATED ALERTS - Get text or email alerts when the gps tracker leaves the city, speeds, or when it moves over night.
Compared to the WhereSafe, this is a little smaller. The golden feature of this tracker is the battery life. With AA batteries, it will last about 3-5 years. This is something that you may want to take with a pinch of salt. Even though it is 3 AA batteries that come included, it’s quite a stretch to say it could last 3-5 years without needing to change the batteries. However it may also be true, it all depends on how much the tracker is used. If it leaves a certain boundary zone, you will get text messages on your phone. This instant theft alert system is run of the mill, it just gives you the basic details you need, i.e. location, route, time, etc.
It’s not as rugged as some, with an IP67 rating. This does mean it can withstand most rainwater, mud and impacts. It’s rugged enough for general work around the farm or in the countryside where there are potholes, etc. It does recommend that you only have 1-hour check-ins if you want to save battery, and to really stretch out those 3 batteries, set it to 12 hour updates only. You can also set a timer for when it should not be moving. Say for example, you want to set a time between 6pm and 8am for when the trailer should not be moving. If it does, you will get instant red alerts, i.e. that it’s stolen.
- LONGEST BATTERY LIFE - 3 AA Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries offer up to an astounding 5 YEARS of battery life with one locate per day! Not just a tracking device for cars, you can confidently use this as a GPS tracker other assets as well! Small, light, and inconspicuous.
- UPDATES EVERY 5 MINUTES - The OysterLTE car tracker device will update it's location every 5 minutes while moving and once per day when stationary (Recovery Mode Available)
- INSTANT ALERTS - Receive an instant alert on your phone via text or email if your asset begins to move. Also receive alerts for geofences and low battery.
- AFFORDABLE, NO COMMITMENT - First Month Free! - Subscription is only $14.95 per month or $149 per year | No Contract | No Activation Fee | US, Canada and Mexico coverage on both 4G and 5G Cat-M1 Towers
- MINI CAR GPS TRACKER, WATERPROOF CASE - IP67 rated waterproof and rugged design means your GPS will continue tracking even in the harshest environments. Protect your valuable assets with this vehicle tracking device.
It fits into the palm of your hand. It’s very, very small and that makes it harder to spot. If you are a seasoned criminal and you know about gps tracker for trailer systems, you will have a harder time locating this than the other models. Of course just like the other trackers, it has a monthly subscription option which gives you the ability to utilize all the features. You don’t have to attach it either, you can leave it in a cubby hole or some kind of natural storage space in the trailer. Many people find the app very useful and makes it easy to see all the information they need. They can go through the history of journeys the trailer has gone through during the week or month. If you are a trailer company that loans trailers out to farmers or travelers, then you can track where they have been. If they turn up with damage and don’t know how it happened, you can show them that they went off the road when a trailer might not be rated for off-roading.
You can set the timer to your liking to get updates. 1 hour, 2 hour or 10 hours are the most commonly chosen. If you are a moving company that gives trailers to customers to help them move places, you should use this tracker to see where they go. It keeps every trailer on a map so you know when one is about to return so you can make future bookings.
- GPS Tracker for vehicles, people, assets. New version of the famous GL300. 25 a month or even less. Americaloc will add 2 extra months to your first service purchase.
- This is the longest battery life version and the one that works on CAT M1 Technology. No activation or hidden fees. Ready to use. Longer battery life and improved coverage.
- Alerts: movement,parked, speeding, device on/off, low battery, entering or leaving zones, front button pressed.Battery life measured in days or even weeks, not in hours.
- Real Time Tracking and 1 year of tracking history. Track from any computer, tablet or phone or just download our Android or IOS app.
- 1 minute location updates while moving. Can be configured for location updates every 60, 30 or 10 seconds with no additional cost. It is the newest version with CAT M1 Technology.
It’s 3-inches tall which is moderate in comparison with the others. However, it only has a 2 week battery life. However it does have faster reporting cycles of up to 1-minute. This is truly for short-term operations. Like we said it’s great for a business. The battery life doesn’t need to be too large for a renting company. It will also send out an alert when the battery is getting low so you know when you can charge the batteries. That’s one consolation, it may only have 2 weeks of battery life but it is rechargeable, so you’re not wasting money on AA batteries.
It will also give you driving reports, so how fast the trailer is going, where it is, when it’s been impacted or perhaps gone over a hill. When you are leaving or entering areas, the tracker will alert you. So if you don’t want the trailer to leave a zone like a farm or industrial plant, then this is a feature you need to make sure workers are following orders. You do also get a SIM card and data plan with the tracker.
- Accurate, Discreet, Real-Time GPS Tracker with POWERFUL Twin Magnet Case.
- $19.95 per month - Quarterly 5% off | Bi-Annual 10% off | Annual 20% off subscription plan - All features included - Cancel Anytime - No Contract - No Hidden Fees - All tracker update options are included as fast as 10 second report frequency
- Battery Life up to 2 weeks reporting frequency at 1 minute
- Email and Text Message Alerts for Movement, Speeding, Leaving or Entering Areas, Low Battery, SOS Button - Driving Reports
- Set up custom INSTANT ALERTS – text and/or email - App available on IPhone and Android - SIM Card and Data Plan Included - FCC Certified Unit - Coverage for USA and Canada
It’s very bulky and it’s not in black like the other trackers. This suggests to us that it’s not meant to be attached below the trailer. You will need to find some way to hide it while it’s in the trailer. However, it may make up for this by having an 18-month charge life. You can recharge the batteries too, by using a USB cable. You get simple text and email alerts when the trailer is moving and if it has left a zone. The app is great. It’s very easy to track the trailer in real-time.
A SIM is included and there’s no activation fee. This has been designed for rugged housing, so a trailer that is a home or perhaps a portable holiday home, is where this tracker shines. It’s an easy tracker to use but it also has fewer features. You have a history of map routes to look through, so you can inspect the nature of the trailer usage. Even without a GPS signal it uses a unique Trak-4 cell-trilateration software to give an approximate location. This is good for when a trailer is in a garage. There’s also no limit to how many accounts can be linked to the tracker, so many employees or family members can know where the trailer is headed. Great for a family business or corporation.
- Simple to use - start tracking in minutes | Email & text alerts | Geofencing
- $6.99 a month (prepaid annual) or $12.99 a month (paid monthly) for hourly pings with options for 10-min and 1-min
- REST API | Unlimited cellular data | No contract | No activation or cancellation fees | SIM included
- Computer, Phone, or Tablet | Great for GPS tracking of assets, inventory, and vehicles | Compact Size
- Up to 18 months on a single charge | Change your ping rate to manage battery life | Rechargeable with a cell charger or USB cable
Every single one of these trackers has a monthly subscription plan. This is for the data harboring costs without which the trackers would be useless. However, some of them are cheaper than others, so balance that with the feature on offer. We’d recommend the simpler the better and the longer the battery life the better. You want this kind of tracker as an attach and forget type of product. But the quality of the app is just as important!